Happy Halloween! I totaled my mom's car last night.
The baby and I were driving in my mom's car to the Halloween party at my sister's house. (My mom was driving my grandparents in their minivan, and they left a few minutes before we did.) We were driving along, getting ready to make a left turn at an intersection when another car came out from between stopped traffic on our right and joined us in the "suicide" lane. Unfortunately he was going in the opposite direction of us and was only checking for traffic coming from his direction. I don't think he ever hit his brakes. We weren't quite head-on, but there was still a loud CRUNCH and the front of my mom's car was bashed in. All our airbags deployed.
Baby was safely ensconced in her carseat in the backseat and made it through without a scratch. I don't think she's even sore. She was pretty traumatized (there was quite a bit of screaming), but the wonderful emergency responders were awesome with her and had her settled down in just a few minutes.
Mama was not quite as lucky. I saw the dude pull out and slammed on the brake pedal, but when we hit my foot rolled off and I did something horrible to my ankle. I've had a couple different diagnoses and I think I will not fully trust any of them until I see the orthopedist on Monday. At first they thought something was displaced and that I tore a bunch of ligaments, but then the ER doc said it looked like a small break and that there might be some tibia crunchlets floating around in the joint somewhere. I've also got a couple little scratches on arms and legs and have a little muscle soreness, but luckily my ankle hurts so much that I barely even notice those. :) Doc says I'll be on crutches for a few months -- happy Thanksgiving, merry Christmas, and happy new year!
So all in all it was a pretty awesome night, but my baby is fine (though still wants to cuddle every chance she gets), I'm going to be fine eventually, and my mom gets a new car out of the deal. (You're welcome!) We're grateful that everyone okay, and the baby still got lots of compliments on her gorgeous costume. :) Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.
I Love
3 weeks ago

1 comment:
OMG!!! I'm so sorry... but so, SO relieved to hear that you and that baby are ok (well,you, relatively). Car crashes are scary... get better soon!
Post a Comment