Tuesday, August 25, 2009

birthmother

We're waiting for the state to certify us to be adoptive parents again. There has been a lot of talk around our house about babies and adopting and lots of meetings with "the people who are going to help us get our new baby." She keeps thinking that one of these times we're going to go to one of these meetings and bring her new baby home. Every time a friend brings a baby over she asks, "Is this the one we're going to keep?"

The other day she overheard me talking to some friends about a "birthmother." She knows she's adopted, but she doesn't really know what that means. This week she asked. "Mama, was I in your tummy?"

We told her that she wasn't. We told her that she had a birthmother and she was in birthmother's tummy, and when she came out her birthmother knew that she needed a mommy and daddy. So birthmother and new baby looked around until they found her mommy and daddy, and then she came home.

I knew it was coming. I thought I was prepared. But I still had to hide my tears.

The next day she wanted to hear the story again, and this time I was able to tell it a little more easily. She liked it. Especially the part where she found her mommy. Then she wanted to know her birthmother's name.

So we told her. And that's that. No more questions since then. And she knows the new baby will have a birthmother, too, and she's fine with that. She just wants the baby. :)

4 comments:

Dallin said...

Oh, I love that baby.

Outnumbered said...

what a sweetheart. the day has come. Emma found herself a fantastic family!

Julie said...

i agree with all the above comments, we will keep you in our prayers, and I can't wait to hear the good news!

Fowler family said...

Oh Shane, I got your comment and hopped on over to your blog. I loved that Scott talk.

You are an incredible mommy to "that baby", and you will make an incredible mommy to your next. Please keep me posted on everything okay?

Congrats on getting certified! My sister tells me the process is long. But all the paper work will be worth it!