Wednesday, December 3, 2008

what kids are good for

NOTHIN.

Just kidding.

My friend was asked to give a talk in church last Sunday (Thanksgiving weekend) on being grateful for children, so we talked a bit about the topic last weekend as she was preparing her remarks. And then as I continued to think about what I'm grateful for about children -- my own kid, and just kids in general -- I jotted down some thoughts. So if you're curious, here's why I'm grateful for kids:

Generally, the wonderful thing about kids is their example to us. We are counseled in the scriptures to be like little children -- they are guileless and pure, completely humble and teachable and anxious to learn, and full of faith. My kid believes anything I tell her.

Personally, I am humbled by my daughter's capacity to learn and desire to be taught, and I continue to learn from the Lord's counsel to be like her. Too often I have become complacent in my knowledge and understanding of the world and of the gospel, but as I watch her little mind work I am very grateful for her example. She loves to learn anything and explore the world. I love talking to her about choices and consequences and watching her mind click as she makes connections between cause and effect -- both in physical laws (how ice melts, why babies cry, etc) and in spiritual, eternal truths (making good choices leads to happiness, while making bad choices leads to constriction of future choices and being put on your bottom in your room). I have to keep studying and learning to keep pace with her, and it's a good lesson for me. It brings to my mind the desire of the people to learn from the Savior in the New Testament. We just talked about the story of the loaves and fishes, and how the people followed Jesus across the Sea of Galilee when he was trying to go rest. Instead of letting Him go and waiting for him to return and teach again, the people followed Him, hungering for the truth He taught. My kid will chase me around the house asking "WHYYYY, mama?" To follow her example, I should be in the scriptures and on my knees every minute I'm not feeding her, trying to learn the things of God. That's an example I certainly still need and am grateful for.

I love that she loves Jesus. She loves to say her prayers. We cannot miss a night of family prayers (which we might have done once or twice before we became parents). She loves to go to Nursery and tell us about what she learned at her class.

One of my favorite things about my particular kid is her love of music. She loves to dance and sing. She is singing and dancing in front of me right now. She is full of the joy of life. She takes nothing for granted. She literally runs everywhere -- I didn't fully understand that phrase until my kid started doing it. She will run down the hallway to get her socks (she loves socks), and then run back so she doesn't miss anything. (I like to imagine what it would be like if her daddy did that at work -- if every time he left his office to go to a meeting or to lunch he ran the whole way, and then ran the whole way back. Because something might be going on and he doesn't want to miss it.)

She feels everything deeply and is very empathetic and it all comes out. Sometimes loudly, but sometimes sweetly. You never don't know what she's feeling.

And that's why I like my kid.

No comments: